We not only believe in reducing our energy consumption, we have taken intentional steps to ensure we are on the leading edge in this endeavor. The Gorman Bros. Lumber Energy Management program was created in partnership with BC Hydro in 2010 with the goal of reducing energy consumption and raising awareness across all divisions. Many energy efficiency improvement projects and programs have now been successfully implemented and more are planned.
- BCH Powersmart program is supported with generous incentive funding for energy-related projects and programs
- Energy saving targets are set at beginning of each 2-year term and a ‘Sustainable Energy Management Plan’ is set in place to accomplish the program goals
- New projects are identified through BC Hydro-funded plant-wide audit and feasibility studies
- Implemented projects include LED lighting upgrades, lighting timer controls, compressed air leak repairs, new air compressors, lumber kiln circulation fan speed optimization, lumber kiln dehumidifier compressor controls modifications, synchronized belt upgrades, production process changes, energy metering systems design and installation
- Energy Awareness program includes bulletin board posters, newsletters, Energy Team meetings, crew meetings, BC Hydro-sponsored employee BBQ’s, contests, energy training